Pay is based upon experience. Beginning wage is $15.00 per hour.
The central sterile/scrub tech role handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure. He/she has an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon. He/she has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure and is constantly on vigil for maintenance of the sterile field. NO ON-CALL REQUIRED.
Desired Education, Certifications and/or Experience
• Preferred to be a graduate of an approved Surgical Technologist training school or equivalent.
• Must be certified or willing to certify in BLS.
• Must possess the ability to function in a team environment.
• Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, patients, family members, visitors, and physicians.
• Must have patience, tact, and a cheerful disposition and enthusiasm, as well as willingness to handle difficult situations.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Embraces change and able to handle multiple demands at one time.
Responsibilities / Functional Job Description
General: Performance Expectations
1. Responsible - works independently, in a safe and appropriate manner. Demonstrates both problem-solving and problem-prevention skills.
2. Sensitive - displays sensitivity to the needs of patients and co-workers. Demonstrates good communications skills and empathy.
3. Timely - recognizes time as a customer's most valuable resource and responds promptly to patients' and co-workers' needs.
4. Accurate - works carefully and precisely, with attention to detail.
5. Coordinated - organizes and delivers service in the proper order. Displays good organization skills and utilizes resources wisely.
6. Thorough - meets all the requirements of his/her position. Is able to evaluate and follow up on his/her services.
General: Teamwork and Service Expectations
1. Display and encourage sensitivity to needs of patients, visitors, and co-workers.
2. Treat others with consideration, courtesy and respect.
3. Perform duties willingly and with initiative; shares necessary information so co-workers can do the same.
4. Remain composed and takes actions to restore calm in stressful situations.
5. Demonstrate judgment and tact when dealing with others.
6. Cooperate with other hospital departments and work groups.
7. Communicate effectively with patients, visitors, and co-workers; take action to clarify information received from others.
Role Specific: Work role responsibilities
1. Donning OR attire and personal protective equipment (PPE).
2. Gathers, checks and opens supplies and equipment needed for the surgical procedure. Restocks supplies at the end of the day.
3. Performs the surgical scrub, and donning gown and gloves.
4. Sets up the sterile back table and Mayo stand with instruments, supplies, equipment, and medications/solutions needed for the procedure.
5. Performs initial instrument, sharps and sponge counts with the circulator.
6. Assists the team members with gowning and gloving.
7. Assists with draping the patient and establishing the sterile field.
8. Secures tubing, cords and other sterile accessories.
9. Prepares and anticipates additional instrumentation, equipment and supplies for usage during the procedure.
10. Anticipates the needs of the surgeon by passing instruments and supplies to surgeon during procedure.
11. Measures and passes medications, hemostatic agents and irrigation solutions utilized during the surgical procedure.
12. Holds retractors or instruments as directed by the surgeon.
13. Sponges or suctions the operative site.
14. Applies electrocautery to clamps or forceps on bleeders.
15. Cuts suture material as directed by the surgeon.
16. Coordinates the camera or changes out instruments during endoscopic surgery as directed by the surgeon.
17. Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during the procedure.
18. Performs additional counts as necessary.
19. Prepares sterile dressings and/or immobilization devices.
20. Prepares and passes off specimen(s) as appropriate.
21. Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization.
22. Assists other members of the team with terminal cleaning of room.
23. Assists in prepping the OR for the next patient.
24. Participates in debriefing and quality improvement practices to ensure quality patient care.
25. Assists with transferring patient to the operating room table.
26. Updates and keeps accurate records of the surgeon’s preferences. Working beyond normal working hours, and in other positions temporarily, when necessary.
27. Is required to take call which will require the ORT to be onsite within 15 minutes and is subject to callback during emergency conditions (e.g. severe weather, evacuation, post disaster, etc.)
28. Attends and participates in continuing education programs. Assists in the orientation of new employees.
29. Is subject to injury from falls, burns from equipment, odors, etc. throughout the workday, as well as to reactions from dust, disinfectants, and other air contaminants.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
1. Ability to work and interact effectively and positively with other staff members to build and enhance teamwork across SLHD departments
2. Ability to communicate to complete responsibilities effectively
3. Communicates with medical staff, department personnel and other department staff.
Equal Employment Opportunity
South Lincoln Hospital District will provide equal opportunity employment to all employees and applicants for employment. No person shall be discriminated against in employment because of race, color, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, physical or intellectual disability, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation or any other category protected by law.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Statement
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Position Type : Full Time
Korinne Costello - HR Benefit & Education Coordinator