Circulator/PACU Nurse - Surgical Services
The circulator/PACU Nurse is responsible for the direct and indirect provision of professional nursing care of the patients in the operating room and PACU. The nurse is accountable for ongoing evaluation and documentation of all components of care delivered to patients within the perioperative environment utilizing the nursing process.
Desired Education, Certifications and/or Experience
• Must be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
• Must possess current circulator or PACU experience (within past 2 years).
• Must possess a current Wyoming license as a Registered Nurse.
• Must be certified or able to certify in BLS, PALS, and ACLS.
Responsibilities / Functional Job Description
General: Performance Expectations
1. Responsible - works independently, in a safe and appropriate manner. Demonstrates both problem-solving and problem-prevention skills. Must be able to relay information to appropriate personnel concerning a patient's condition. Attends and participates in continuing education programs. Assists in the orientation of new employees.
2. Sensitive - displays sensitivity to the needs of patients and co-workers. Demonstrates good communications skills and empathy. Must have patience, tact, and a cheerful disposition and enthusiasm, as well as willingness to handle difficult situations
3. Timely - recognizes time as a patient's most valuable resource and responds promptly to patients' and co-workers' needs. Strong organizational and time management skills. Embraces change and able to handle multiple demands at one time.
4. Accurate - works carefully and precisely, with attention to detail.
5. Coordinated - organizes and delivers service in the proper order. Displays good organization skills and utilizes resources wisely. Communicates with medical staff, department personnel and other department staff.
6. Thorough - meets all the requirements of his/her position. Is able to evaluate and follow up on his/her services.
General: Teamwork and Service Expectations
1. Display and encourage sensitivity to needs of patients, visitors, and co-workers.
2. Treat others with consideration, courtesy and respect. Must possess the ability to function in a team environment.
3. Perform duties willingly and with initiative; shares necessary information so co-workers can do the same.
4. Remain composed and takes actions to restore calm in stressful situations.
5. Demonstrate judgment and tact when dealing with others. Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, patients, family members, visitors, and physicians.
6. Cooperate with other hospital departments and work groups.
7. Communicate effectively with patients, visitors, and co-workers; take action to clarify information received from others.
Role Specific: Work role responsibilities
1. Support the mission, vision, and core values of South Lincoln Medical Center.
2. Following and completing assignments as given by the OR Manager or Charge nurse.
3. Creating and maintaining an atmosphere of warmth, personal interest, and positive emphasis, as well as a calm environment throughout the department.
4. Gathering supplies and equipment for surgical cases.
5. Preparing surgery suite for surgical procedures and PACU for patient care.
6. Restocking supplies in surgery suite and PACU when procedures have ended for the day.
7. Monitoring of surgery department inventory and notifying appropriate individual(s) when supplies are needed.
8. Circulating for surgical procedures for various surgeons that operate at SLMC. Recover patients in PACU.
9. Operates equipment and performs technical skills according to policies and standards; learns new skills and seeks assistance appropriately.
10. Individualizes patient care according to patient's health status, age level, and surgery/procedure being performed.
11. Looks beyond patients' physical needs in every aspect of practice; includes physical, psychosocial, spiritual, emotional, educational, sexual, and age related needs.
12. Synthesizes patient data and implements action plan appropriate to situation (good judgment, critical thinking).
13. Documentation is complete, clear, concise, and according to policy.
14. Collaborates with appropriate disciplines in developing coordinated outcomes and interventions; interacts with team members regarding patient progress.
15. Recognizes situations (patient, staff, visitor, and physician) and significant assessment findings that require verbal or written communication and follow through to the appropriate people.
16. Participates in identifying and developing the performance improvement focus and criteria.
17. Assists in the orientation of new employees.
18. Assumes accountability and responsibility for attendance and timely completion of competencies, mandatory programs, department specific requirement (i.e. ACLS), and department meetings.
19. Purposefully conducts all aspects of job in an ethical manner in support of South Lincoln Medical Center's commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
20. Ensure that the Surgery Department and Operating Rooms are maintained in a clean, safe, and sanitary manner.
21. Record all information correctly and accurately on patient's chart.
22. Follow established universal precautions in the use of gloves, gowns, and/or masks.
23. Ensure that daily and weekly tasks are completed.
24. Maintain confidentiality according to established policy.
25. Manage personal stress and emotions so as not to interfere in relationships and interactions with others.
Equal Employment Opportunity
South Lincoln Medical Center will provide equal opportunity employment to all employees and applicants for employment. No person shall be discriminated against in employment because of race, color, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, physical or intellectual disability, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation or any other category protected by law.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Statement
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Position Type : Full Time
Shift : Day
Nick England - HR Manager
South Lincoln Medical Center
711 Onyx Street
Kemmerer, WY 83101
Phone: 307-877-4401 ext. 3198